I wanted to make an irregular version, so hand drew paper templates without rulers to achieve the naive style that I like.
Next came ideas for colour palettes and I hit upon blue, yellow and beige with dark contrasts. I used a mixture of mis-matched, repurposed textiles, with a bit of new fabric included, and some hand dyed yellow fabrics.
Each unique template shape was transfered to fabric, then was hand sewn to its neighbouring piece in rows. The rows were joined before being layered with wadding and a backing fabric. The whole piece was hand quilted before the bias strip was added to finish the edge of the artwork. Finally a hanging sleeve was made to take a fine wooden dowel for display, and my maker's label was added to the reverse.
I decided to add rounded corners for a change and was pleased with the result.