These piece is, of course, influenced by the flowers found in gardens and hedgerows at this time of year. It started life as a sketch ...
Some elements were cut using templates taken from my collage, other were free cut using a large pair of scissors. The individual blooms were completed and arranged on the backing before being pinned in position. I used a variety of threads, including two that I had just bought at an exhibition, hand dyed by Fiona Moir. Others were cotton embroidery threads from my stash, Aurifil wool/acrylic thread, or Perle cotton threads, which have a nice sheen contrasting well against the duller wool.
At this stage, I decided to give the piece a variegated edging that echoed the shape of the nearest flowers, with a flat top edge where the wool blanket was rolled to the reverse to create a hanging sleeve for a length of wood dowel. I used blanket stitch, French knots and a short straight stitch or whip stitch to attach the various elements, and around the outer edge.
A decision to add more of the abstract dots was taken at this stage: first some larger ones along the top edge, then a flurry of small ones dotted in any gaps that remained. The final touches: a label sewn to the reverse, and a wooden lath cut to size to hang the piece.